Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sparkly Skirt Tutorial

This is a semi-tutorial on how to make this skirt. Semi because I played around with the skirt a lot while making it so I'm not sure if I can describe it well enough, but I'll try.
First you'll need to measure your waist. You should also figure out where you want the skirt to fall to on your leg and measure from your waist to that spot.
In total there are only 4 pieces to this skirt, and the front and the back are identical. Everything I describe you'll do twice, once for the front and once for the back.
Now you'll cut out the pieces for the waistband and the body of the skirt.

You should make the length of the body of the skirt the length you want the skirt to be. I'd cut it out a little bit longer originally, you can always shorten it later. The waistband can also be as wide as you'd like, play around with it a little and see what looks best on you.
Next you'll box pleat the skirt until it is the same width as the waistband.

Box pleats are simple, especially in this case because I didn't want them to be structured so there was no pressing involved. The larger the pleats are the more volume the skirt will have. You can measure the pleats to make sure they're even but if they're a little bit off you shouldn't be able to tell.
Lastly you just sew on the waistband by putting the right sides of both sections together and sewing. Do this for both the front and back. Then you'll sew one of the sides of the skirt. Put it around you to make sure it fits, and then sew in the zipper into the other side.
It ends up being very simple to make. Sorry I can't do a better job explaining. Feel free to ask me any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment