Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Project Runway All Star Challenge

This was the biggest disappointment I have ever watched. It's really a good thing I saw the first episode of the new season first or I may have just sworn off PR all together. First, I totally wanted Santino to win because he is my favorite contestant of all time, really the reason I started watching the show as well as my fiance. Plus he was the only entertaining one in the entire show, everyone else was soooo boring. So on the basis of personality alone I wanted him to win. Also, on the basis of personality alone I wanted Korto to lose. She was just as whiny, self-centered, and entitled as always. I'm sorry, but her Bryant Park collection was boring and not innovative at all, she absolutely did not deserve to win.
The real reason I was so upset about the show was based on the what the designers actually produced. Ok, Santino definitely did not deserve to win based on his collection. But the people in the top four? I would say 3/4 of them did not deserve to be there.
First of all, how in the world did Sweet Pea get into the top 4 over Uli. The only reason I can see is manipulation by the judges to get a certain story. Even Tim said her color story was matronly. So Uli vs. Sweet Pea:

This dress is super pretty, and slightly unusual with the way the the skirt drapes. The only problem is the model. I swear that the producers colluded with the judges to sabotage Uli in the model department because they wanted Sweet Pea in the top four, for some crazy reason. This dress does not at all go with this model which makes the entire look just look wrong. This dress needed romantic styling which is impossible to do with a model with no hair. Also, it doesn't match with the models skin tone. Compare this to Sweet Pea's dress.

It looks like an ugly nightgown especially with the sorry wilting flowers. It's also completely shapeless. But imagine Uli's dress on this model (also with better hair), it would have been gorgeous and the judges would not have been able to keep her out of the top four.

This was my favorite Uli dress, unfortunately there were no flattering pictures of it on the lifetime website, especially of the unique detailing on the side. Again I think the model ruins it. She looks angry, and honestly if you were wearing this dress you would not be angry. It's incredibly innovative and beautiful, especially her ability to make a spectacular dress with muted colors. She was beat down in her season for doing the same thing over and over again, yet now she is beat down because she evolved as a designer, complete bullshit.

This was the only dress I liked of Sweet Pea's but again it doesn't stand up to the most comparable dress that Uli made. It's a pretty basic one shoulder dress, the only things that make it different are the materials (leather)and the shoulder detail. Again, it doesn't look like she even attempted to make the top fit the actually body of the model (even skinny models have breasts) and she ended up lucking out with a much better model more suited for the dress.
For the next two there's really no competition whatsoever.
Uli's Red Carpet:

This wasn't my favorite outfit of Uli's. It is gorgeous, but a little too mature for my taste. But if you think of where it was going to be worn, Nicole Kidman's movie premiere it's prefect. Definitely something I could see her wearing.
Compare to Sweet Pea's Red Carpet:

Unfortunately they didn't post a picture of the entire dress, which I'm sure was purposeful because it disguises what a horrendous dress it actually was. Again it looked like a nightgown, especially with the ruffle around the bottom. And again it was completely shapeless. The only shape was created by the sash, which is really not acceptable. I could have made this dress in a few hours, I'm not surprised that Sweet Pea kept talking about how she was completely finished before anyone else.
Uli's restaurant challenge:

This is absolutely gorgeous and the only restaurant challenge look that did not look at all like it was made of unconventional materials. Nothing more to say. I would wear that in a heartbeat.
Sweet Pea's restaurant challenge:

This would be cute for either someone on a float in an Easter parade (if they even have those) or a costume for a 6 year old girl. Not a grown woman. It is the epitome of costumey. How in the world did the judges let this go? This alone tells you that the judging was decided well before they saw the actual collections. I would love to hear Tim Gunn's opinions on this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment